I got to play with wires and electricity and chemicals today. Mad scientist Monday! I recently took a class in electroplating and today put it to use. It was nice to be able to work at my own pace. They never rush you in their classes, but there’s no way to avoid the fact that you have to clean up and go home before the shop closes.
So I chose some seed pods, painted them with a clear coat, attached them to cooper wire and then painted them with an electrically conductive paint.
The long pods just didn’t turn out that well. The curled back ends flattened out when I put them in the acid solution. And they’re still very fragile after being plated. Perhaps if I left them in solution longer and the plating was thicker I could bend the ends back to a curl.
I haven’t finished the other pods yet, but I think they’ll turn out a little better. Nature worked in my favor this once. When I pulled the stem out I was left with a small hole where the stamen of the flowers was. Perfect for running a wire through. I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see how the plating goes on those.
I did have fun playing mad scientist.